Misrata, Libya: A split opened within the NATO-led air campaign against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on Wednesday as France and Britain rejected an Italian call for a halt to military action to allow aid access.
China also signalled a shift in its stance on the conflict, describing the rebels as a "dialogue partner", while Libyan television said that "dozens" of people had been killed in Zlitan after NATO ships shelled the town.
Four months into the uprising, and three months after NATO war planes began their bombing, the conflict hangs in the balance, with rebels making only gradual gains in their effort to reach the capital Tripoli and topple Gaddafi.
Italy ceasefire call exposes NATO split on Libya
NATO's first acknowledgment this weekend that it may have caused civilian casualties risks hurting support for a mission that secured a UN mandate despite deep misgivings from states in the Arab world, Europe and beyond.
"The need to look for a ceasefire has become more pressing," Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini told parliament.
"As well as the ceasefire, which is the first stage towards a political negotiation, a humanitarian stop to military action is fundamental to allow immediate humanitarian aid."
An Italian Foreign Ministry spokesman later clarified that Rome was not making a specific proposal and was interested in any ideas to reduce civilian casualties. But his comments got short shrift from NATO allies.
"We have to intensify the pressure on Gaddafi. Any pause in operations would risk allowing him to gain time and reorganise himself," said French Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.
Britain, which along with France was one of the first countries to put their weight behind the rebellion, agreed.
"Our position is that this is in Gaddafi's hands. He has called several ceasefires and none of them have resulted in ceasefires," Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman said.
"The right approach at the present time is to increase the pressure on Gaddafi."
Four rebels were killed and at least 12 wounded in artillery fire on the Dafniya front near the coastal city of Misrata on Wednesday, a medical worker at the field hospital there said.
Three of them were killed as they ate their lunch in a group, underlining concerns about the amateurishness of a force on which Gaddafi's opponents are counting for regime change.
The lack of sustained rebel advance has led some analysts to believe NATO is banking on an uprising in Tripoli to remove Gaddafi, and is choosing its bombing targets accordingly.
A senior official of the African Union, many of whose member states are uncomfortable with the sight of NATO bombs hitting the continent, said NATO would ultimately have to rally to its policy of promoting a ceasefire as a first step to a settlement.
"(The bombing campaign) was something which they thought would take 15 days," Jean Ping, chairman of the AU Commission, told Reuters in Addis Ababa.
"The stalemate is already there. There is no other way."
Time is now a crucial factor for both sides in the conflict, with unity in the NATO-led coalition likely to come under more strain and Gaddafi having to deal with the economic impact of international sanctions.
In a sign of the increasing impact of the crisis on daily life, Libyan state media issued instructions that ordinary people should follow "to deal with the fuel shortage".
They called on people to use public transport instead of cars, avoid using air conditioning when driving and stick to 90-100 kph (55-63 mph) as the ideal speed. They also asked Libyans to be patient when queueing at petrol stations.
Exports of oil have ceased, depriving Gaddafi's government of the funds it used during peacetime to provide the population with heavily subsidised food and fuel. Petrol queues in Gaddafi -held areas now stretch for miles.
The rebel National Transitional Council got a further boost on Wednesday as China, the only veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council not to have urged Gaddafi to stand down, hosted its diplomatic chief for talks in Beijing.
"China sees you as an important dialogue partner," Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi told Mahmoud Jibril, according to comments published on the Chinese Foreign Ministry's website.
The statement, however, stopped short of aligning China with the 19 countries which have so far recognised the Council as legitimate representative of the Libyan people.
Action on the ground was inconclusive on Wednesday. At least three explosions were heard in Tripoli in the morning and again in the afternoon but it was not clear what caused them.
Rebels have been trying to advance west toward the town of Zlitan, where Gaddafi's soldiers are imposing a tight siege. Libyan television said on Wednesday that "dozens" of people were killed there after NATO ships shelled the town.
The report could not be independently verified because foreign reporters have been prevented from entering Zlitan. NATO normally comments on its Libya operations the following day
Chartered Accountant Courses Business Online Payment Processor Women Management Living Without Money Berlin Creations Buy Real Views Banking Software Solutions Hardwoods Furniture House Cleaning Services Professional Graphic and New Media Designers Download Free EBooks happy birthday quotes All About Medical Bankruptcy the dangers of drug abuse public transportation services Sex Education for Children online shop adidas originals Alcoholism Greens Health Information Cheap Hotel Deals Small Business Solutions Financial Accountability Best Mortgage Rates Corporate Programs Business School Online Travel Agency Online Lottery Games global solutions business Sexy Lingerie Official Music Video Law Reports baby monitor iphone app Women's Health the best pickup lines The European Business Animals Shop Hospital Equipment Bio organic products Cheap Wedding Dresses cheap sport shoes Drug Discovery Sexy Mobile Apps shop makers Different Types of Engineering Degrees Tips Buying Tickets Online Designer Bags Review Compare Cheap Hotels And Accommodation Deals Casino Zone Dental Work DrugInfo Insurance Company Binary option trading Financial Advice Service Commercial Property Health and Fitness in Pregnancy Online Drivers Education Car Insurance Education And Technology Incident Report Criminal Best Android Games cristiano ronaldo fans Mortgages and Loans Pharma Info Online Medical Herbs drugs weight loss exercise program Hair care
- Honda FC Future Sports Car
- Girls Car Show Babes
- Toyota Supra - Super Car HD Wallpaper
- HONDA SPORTS CAR � FC SPORT
- Hot Girls in Underwear
- Archive for the ‘Sports Car’ Category
- Speeding Cars
- Electric Cars
- Drifting Cars
- Cool Cars
- Classic Cars
- scarlett johansson hair bob
- Hot Girls
- Brazilian Car Show Models
- 2012 Audi A3 Wagon
- F-Concept Daihatsu: Daihatsu Car Cheap | Smart Car...
- Honda FC Sport Design Study
- Busines-Mobile bill woes,Bharti Airtel hikes call ...
- Artis San E kissed Attendance in indonesia
- Sexy Girls Tease Live Asian Stripping
- Arabic Hot Movie clip
- Free Sex 2011 Hot Today
- New NCT Optare Versas
- sexy in dream land
- Archive for the ‘Toyota’ Category
- Lotus Exige S Club Racer
- Hot Cars
- New Cars
- 2011 BMW 5-Series F10 ’Black Bison’ By Wald Intern...
- Sports Cars
- Toyota FT-86 G Sports Concept
- janet jackson and michael jackson young
- Disney Cars
- Yukiho Murase in cute vest and plaid skirt
- Free Download Software,Antivirus NOD32 v2.51.20 Fu...
- VIDEO-Cop Shot During Child HOT Bust At 'Harry Pot...
- Free Download Software Latest Full Version IDM 6.0...
- LONG DRESSES
- Explore the island of Bali Museum
- Browse Fatahillah Museum-known Museum Indonesia
- 3D And Fantasy Girls-2 - Beautiful Wallpaper
- Freightliner loco in Pennsylvania
- Shahana Goswami in Game
- Top Car Wallpaper
- Hot Girls
- Party Time Girls Beautiful Wallpaper
- Download Software Driver HP and Modem All Merck In...
- Hot Girls
- Langley Mill
- New Harley Davidson
- Harley Davidson Gifts
- ford mustang pics
- Russian beautiful girls take pictures with the lux...
- A Photos House of Russian Elite-Kuskovo Manor
- Red Speed Car Wallpaper
- Software Free Download Driver Genius PRO 10 Full V...
- Action,Cooking In An Uzbek Tea-House
- Artist Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Crash Malibu...
- 2012 Hulme CanAm Supercar - Hulme Sports Cars
- 2011 TSX Sport Wagon Acura Sports Car
- Car Barbie Edition
- Mazda5 Review
- Ferrari 599 GTO
- 2011 Audi Q7
- New BMW Designs 2011
- New BMW Designs 2011
- Mitsubishi pajero full 3D 2011 fotos, detalhes, es...
- This is the Mercedes-Benz Luxury With Pernik 300,0...
- 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Exclusive Edition Cars Of Morgan LifeCar Concept
- New Hyundai Cars Pictures Gallery 2011
- Lotus Evora 414E Hybrid
- Elegant Cars Concept Of Morgan Aero 8
- Unique Cars Of Morgan Aero SuperSports
- Nova Saveiro 2011, Um Espetaculo.
- Price 2012 Hyundai Genesis
- Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond Edition, Cadillac CTS...
- 2011 Audi R8 sports car from Audi
- super cars wallpapers gallery
- 30 Amazing Cars Wallpapers
- new car wallpapers gallery
- Hull Trains have experienced
- wallpapers of disney cars
- Engine management systems
- Outtakes (Or, A Visual Guide to the Evolution of M...
- Gosip,William, Kate off to Canada, US in first tou...
- Horse Wallpaper
- So Sexy Fashion - Designer Short Party Collection....
- Maclaren F1 Top Speed Cars
- ▼ July (2234)
- ► 2010 (2923)
- ► 2009 (745)
- ► 2008 (214)